The original St. Matthew School was built in 1914, thirteen years after the church was dedicated. It was an impressive building: two full stories, a cupulo with a cross on top, and a full daylight basement. There were two large classrooms: the "Big Room" housing the four upper grades, and the "Little Room" with the four lower grades.
The Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon had been teaching weekly religion classes in the parish, and now became the school's first principal and classroom teachers. In St. Matthew School's first year of existence, there were 45 children enrolled. Enrollment continued to grow, and soon classrooms were being set up in the second floor parish hall. Some classes were even held in the Kinghts of Columbus hall across the street. For 30 years the school was heated with a wood furnace, and children were responsible for daily housekeeping chores.
In 1949, a new St Matthew School was built around the old one. One floor was taken out of the old school and was used as a gym until 1974. At that point the gym was torn down to make way for a new gym and parish center. The original school building served the parish for 60 years.